Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Makings of a Pill Box


My Newest Project


Well, it’s Wednesday and here it is. It’s a one piece Pill Box Hat. Something I had been dieing to make for quite sometime. Finally got up the nerve and patience to give it a try.
First, thought it couldn’t be that hard and second thought what if it doesn’t work. The second was fear. Fear, something that seems to stop a lot of us from achieving our dreams. It wasn’t as hard as I thought.


Finished Product:













I first started with a simple chain, connected the ends to form a ring and proceeded to crochet in rounds. You want to crochet this hat in rounds for a nice smooth effect, if you connect the end of the row into previous rows you’ll get a bumpy effect, the connection shows.

Fig.1









Circle measures about 7 to 7 ½” wide, side to side.

At this point we start the sides. To do that we crochet in back loops only. You will get a raised look.

Fig 2.









Here you can see the sides starting to form.
Fig. 3






















Fig. 4





For my hat, I continued to crochet in rounds until my hat measured 2” deep for the sides. The deepness can be whatever you want or feel comfortable with.


Once my hat was the size I desired, I connected my last row and started began my crab crochet stitch around the last row. Some call this stitch reverse crochet. You just crochet from left to right if you’re right handed and vice versa if you’re left handed.

Fig.5










Fig.6



At the end of last row, use a yarn needle to weave in the ends. It’s really easy, especially with this crab stitch to hide the loose ends.
You’re done.
It is easy and a fun piece to make. Your finished item can be adorned with whatever your heart’s desires to give it that appeal you want. Have fun and enjoy. Make one for yourself, friend or family member.

I’ve made several, they will be for sale at my shop soon, http://www.newdaycrochet.etsy.com/.
If you’d like instructions, they can also be found on site or contact me, newdaycrochet@yahoo.com . Type ‘Pill Box’ in subject heading.

No comments: